Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fireplace Makeover, Take 2

Back in March I decorated my fireplace with plants for spring.  Well... two of the plants didn't make it, so I needed to come up with something to fill the void.  I shopped the house and found some unused candle sticks for the one side and decided a moss ball for the other side would look good. 

Here is the before (when the plants were still alive):

The after, with the candle sticks and moss ball:


Now if I can't keep the remaining two plants alive, I don't know what I will replace them with.  :-)  I made the moss ball with items from the dollar store... a total of $2, can't beat that.  I purchased a rubber ball from the toy section and two bags of moss (I only used one bag of the moss) and the glue I already had. 


I just spread the glue onto the ball and smashed the moss into the glue.  Very quick.  Very easy.  Very messy (the reason for the plastic under my project, I just carried the plastic outside when I finished and shook it off in the grass). 



Just for fun... Sophia and Priscilla found a snail in the back yard and were quite enamored with it.  They are so adorable!  The girls, not the snail.  :-)



Yes, that is pink stain on the patio (what was previous owner thinking), staining the patio is on the (very long) list of things to do.  :-)

Thanks for stopping by.
~Lisa

Linking up to the following:



The DIY Show Off


Visit thecsiproject.com

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the fireplace vignette. The moss ball is ingenious! It is the perfect accessory! Well done!!!

Johanna said...

What a great way to make a moss ball!

B said...

Oh cool! This is great Lisa! Fabulous!

Carole said...

Love the moss ball!

I see my nieces! I know Priscilla thought so much of me - NOT!

That snail is nasty looking - you can keep those things down there!

Kelley said...

It looks great...wonderful job!

Katie said...

It looks great! Especially the moss balls! :) very creative!

mle said...

I love that you used a rubber ball for the moss ball - sooo much cheaper than styrofoam!! Great idea & looks fab! : )

Decor To Adore said...

Now this is fabulous~ Well done!

Lyn S said...

Your moss ball is just fabulous Lisa! If you buy a couple of extra plants, you can try rotating a couple inside and outside every few months.....I never have any luck with plants inside, but they seem fine outside under the patio.

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

LOVE your moss spheres! Great job!